It's the material that has been around for years, but happens to also be the newest trend that is sweeping the sewing and craft world...BURLAP!
I have loved using it for tote bags, pillows, and tablerunners. In embroidering onto this material recently, I have learned a few tips and tricks for making it a little easier that I'd like to share with you!
1. There is a great product out there on the market called Hoop Assist by Hemingworth. Basically, it is an iron-on sheet that adhere to the back of the material you are using. With the burlap in this case, I wanted to make sure that the burlap did not shift around too much while stitching. Hoop Assist to the rescue!
2. Simply pull off a sheet from the pad and lightly iron to the back of the burlap.
3. Hoop a piece of tear-away stabilizer inside the hoop. Proceed to hoop the iron-on backed burlap into the hoop as normal.
4. Place hoop into machine and snap into place. Before stitching, I recommend using a water-soluble topping to float on top of the burlap. This will help keep your stitches above the highly textured finish of burlap.
5. Once your design is finished stitching out, simply remove burlap from the hoop and gently tear away all of the excess stabilizer on both the top and bottom of the fabric.
Are you interested in this amazing design? It is "Bird on Branches" by Meringue Designs at SWAKembroidery.com!