By Shelli of Needle in a Haystack
Anyone out there need a last-minute, but shoe-string-worthy gift? This month we have for you a Hanging Holiday Star suitable for displaying a festive sprig of pines or berries, or doubling as a keeper of your holiday cards. It works up so quickly, utilizes some out-of-date jeans, and is minimal in cost. Keep it for yourself, or give it away without breaking the bank.
As a bonus, you’ll see how a few changes can create a darling Gift Card Holder that will look merry and bright hanging in the tree or from the stocking hook!
*cutting board, straight edge ruler, rotary cutter (optional)
*One pair of old jeans--children’s size 10 and larger will typically work great. If using other fabric, you’ll need two 15” square sections.
*A section of approximately 8” x 8” of white cotton fabric to use for the embroidery
*1/2 yard of stiff, iron-on Pellon
*Small 4”x 4” section of Transfer Web Paper (Wonder-Under)
*2 large eyelets and eyelet tool kit
*2 yards of coordinating ribbon--at least 1/2” wide
* “Denim” or “Heavy Strength” sewing machine needle (yes, you really do need it!)
*Pair of good cutting scissors
*star shaped patterns (you'll find in the embroidery download)
*Coordinating 3mm iron-on crystals (optional)
*Optional embellishments if desired: extra ribbon, buttons, iron-on crystals, charms, anything your heart desires to add your own personal flair to this project!
Printing and Assembling the Patterns:
1. You will find the pattern for this star in the instant, free download here:
Before printing the patterns, make sure the following is correct in your print menu:
* Page scaling is set to “none”
* “Shrink page to paper size” is not checked
* “Auto-rotate” and “center” is not checked
2. Print each half of the large star pattern. Cut out each half along the outer lines and tape together along the center line to create a whole star.
3. Embroider the smaller "joy" design which fits the 4x4 hoop onto your background fabric.
Constructing the Hanging Star:
1. Cut both legs off of the jeans near the inseam and under the back pockets to ensure you have plenty of denim to work with.
Then cut all the way up one side seam of each leg (the seam that is not topstitched) so that the denim will lay flat. You should now be left with two large rectangular shapes of denim that still contain one top-stitched seam each. You will need at least two 15” x 15” sections of fabric to work with.
2. Using the large star pattern, cut one whole, large star shape out of the denim, aligning either of the vertical dotted lines of the pattern along the top-stitched seam of the denim.
3. You will now be cutting out a partial star to be used as the front pocket. Align the horizontal dotted line of the star pattern along one of the seams of the denim and cut out around the lower section of the star shape, then across just above the seam (along the horizontal dotted line). Do not cut through the star shaped paper pattern, however. Just fold it back at the dotted line if needed.
4. Out of the iron-on Pellon, cut out two whole star shapes, and one of the star pocket shape. This will provide the denim with stiffness for hanging. Trim each to be slightly smaller than the denim shapes. Set aside.
5. Now take the completed and embroidered “Joy” panel, and trim it to measure approximately 3“ wide x 2.5“ high. Cut a section of the transfer web that is slightly smaller than these measurements.
6. Following the manufacturer’s instructions for the transfer web, adhere the “Joy” panel onto the front and center of the denim star pocket piece. Top stitch 1/8” from the edges to secure. Fray the edges if desired.
7. Following the manufacturer’s instructions for the iron-on Pellon, adhere and layer the two cut-out star shapes to the back side of the denim star shape, and adhere one cut--out to the denim star pocket shape.
8. Aligning the outer edges, pin the back of the pocket section to the front of the whole star shape, and top-stitch around the entire star ¼” from the edges.
9. Using the eyelet kit and accompanying directions, apply two eyelets to the denim star according to the placement shown on the star pattern.
10. Thread the ribbon through the eyelets as shown in the photo below, and tie the ends into a bow for hanging. Add additional embellishments if desired.
Insert a festive sprig of holiday greenery or berries into the pocket.
Congratulations! You’ve just made a cheery and budget-friendly gift for someone special or for yourself! Now that you have the basics down, expand your imagination and embellish further if desired with additional ribbon, charms, buttons, adhesive crystals, and more!
For an 8” tree ornament or gift card holder: Use the small star pattern, omit the embroidery step, but follow the same instructions and embellish as desired. Attach a single eyelet at the top for the ribbon, and you’re set!
Have fun with these projects, and let the following images provide you with some creative and gift-giving inspiration. Happy Holidays!
Created with the “Peace” design: http://www.swakembroidery.com/info/featured-products/SWAK_niah_peacesampler2sizes.htm
Created with the “Rejoice” design: http://www.swakembroidery.com/info/featured-products/SWAK_niah_rejoicesampler_multi_2sizes.htm